Reasons for feeling bad about yourself
These are some things that can contribute to making you feel bad about yourself:
- Frequently being blamed for things that are not your fault.
- Being criticised – this can happen at home, at work, at school, anywhere…
- Being bullied by other people.
- Being bullied because you are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender.
- Not doing well at school, at sport or other hobbies.
- Trying to be what is portrayed as “perfect” like the airbrushed pictures you see in magazines or on television.
- Feeling like you don’t “fit in”, because of your body image.
Some things that happen may not be your fault. You can’t control other people, but you can make yourself feel better.
For support, talk to your parents or another adult you trust. You can visit one of the services on the Support Services page. You can also call or email Childline 1800 66 66 66 or www.childline.ie