It’s good to be able to recognise the differences between healthy and unhealthy romantic relationships. People in healthy relationships would be able to answer “yes” to the following questions:
- Are they a similar age to you?
- Do you spend time together and spend time with your own friends too?
- Do you feel safe with each other?
- Are you proud to be with each other?
- Can you solve arguments without being mean and apologise to each other if you have done something wrong?
- Do you decide what to do together?
- Do you treat each other with respect?
- Do you trust each other?
- Do you support each other’s ambitions and plans like getting a job or going to college?
- Do you encourage each other’s interests – like sports or music or drama?
- Do you respect each other’s opinions?
- Do you give each other privacy? (diaries and text messages are private)
- Do close friends and family know about the relationship and can you discuss your relationships with your close family and friends?
- Do you allow each other “space” when you need it?
If you are in a healthy romantic relationship, there are lots of Things To Do to show someone how much you like them.